Monday, November 4, 2013

Giving Thanks

Welcome, November! I'm thrilled to see your sunny days and chilly temperatures.  Putting on long sleeves and new boots.  Watching the leaves change colors and fall to the ground.  Spending time with family and friends as the holidays approach. To watch social media light up with many posts, tweets and blogs filled with words of thanksgiving.

Wait, what?

Yeah, that last one just doesn't fit quite right, now does it.  I'll be honest, I'm kind of at a loss this year.  My wonderful husband is blogging his way through 30 of Thanksgiving, and he has challenged others to join him.  Many of my Facebook, and real life, friends are counting blessings daily in their status posts.  And here I am, stuck.

give_thanks_marketing

I can't do this like everyone else.

Not to knock or put down what everyone is doing, I personally think counting blessings is a great thing, and am consciously looking for the gifts in my life.  However, I have to stop and ask myself, what if these gifts are not in the visible things?  What if they are not just people or relationships?  What if these gifts are difficult?  Heart rending, life altering gifts.  And what if I'm missing them.  Not so much not experiencing them, just not recognizing them as gifts.  Like those sleepless nights when my sons were infants.  Gifts.  Not just because of the beautiful life I was tending, they opened up times of communion with Almighty God.  There, in the middle of the night, while all else was still and quiet. Those hard nights where my body longed for sleep, my soul longed for refreshing from the one who created it, Christ. Gifts.

Moving...multiple times.  Some by choice, others by design.

Loss of friendships. 

Loneliness.

Grieving the loss of parents, children.

Tragedy.

What if His gifts to us where not all by our standard good?  What if they cost?  Would we, do we, still count them.  What if out of our hard sacrifices of thanks came something beautiful? A changed life.  An inspiring story to encourage others.  Another story of thanks.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be sharing some of my hard thanks - sacrifices of thanks, if you will.  Check back in through out this November as I share some of my stories of thanksgiving.  Maybe, just maybe, you can share yours too!

What are you thankful for today?  Look at the gifts around you today...whether big or small and just say a simple, "Thank You".

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment