Monday, November 18, 2013

The Journey - A Gift

Abram's journey has to be one story in the Bible, though I was familiar with, never really sank in.
The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you. ... So Abram departed as the Lord had instructed, and Lot went with him.

Genesis 12:1, 4

Leaving family, familiar territory.  Yeah, well, at one time I'd have said I know a thing or two about that.  I married a minister. Packing up and moving is nothing, and I repeat nothing, for us.  Not that I enjoy packing or moving, we've just been through it a few times.  Somewhere around seven moves in the last ten years.



However, in late 2010, my husband and I began to feel the Lord impressing upon us a change in ministry.  Our second son had just been born, and  we began praying and asking for clarity and wisdom.  We experienced God doing some amazing things during this time.  Our house that had been on the market for going on 3 years sold.  Many people began to ask Anthony about his goals in ministry and if he had ever considered other roles.  We also experienced a major surprise...baby number 3 was on the way.

In January of 2011, we experienced a heartbreaking loss, my husband's mother went to be with the Lord.  And by April, we knew that the Lord was moving us from our comfortable place of ministry.  In July, we celebrated the birth of our third son, and in August, we left full-time ministry for my husband to pursue full-time his seminary degree.  Waiting, all the while, for the Lord's direction on what was next.

Our family motto became the words of Hebrews 11:6.
And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.

And that's what we did, trust Him, in full faith that He could and would provide for everything we need.  For nearly six months, we lived with my parents while Anthony worked as he could, not even part-time, and went to school full time, three and a half hours away. We prayed day in and day out for God's guidance.  And guide us He did.  A wonderful church ministered to us during our transition journey.  We are forever grateful for Hillcrest Baptist Church and the ministry they have in their community.  He then opened the door for us to serve New Life Fellowship, another body of believers we are forever grateful for and to.

With three boys ages 4 and under, at the time, this journey of faith was a big eye opener to me.  God can and will use me in whatever circumstances He allows in my life.   No matter how difficult or undesirable the situation.  His goal is for His glory to be made known.  And just as Abram waited and wandered until He was led to the God-promised land, I am thankful for a faith journey that has both mountains and valleys, places I've had the joy of sharing and those that are still awaiting me. Knowing all the while that wherever He leads, I will go.

2 comments: