Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lesson from Epaphras

If my ability to learn ever stops, Lord Jesus, I pray you take me home to eternity.

I've been studying through the book of Colossians with a precious small group of ladies from our church fellowship.  I can't begin to tell you how much I've needed that time in fellowship with those sweet ladies every week.  This past week was no exception.  And I'm looking forward to our last session on Tuesday night.  But I just couldn't wait to share something that I've learned this week.
Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.

Epaphras, a member of your own fellowship and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends you his greetings. He always prays earnestly for you, asking God to make you strong and perfect, fully confident that you are following the whole will of God.  ~  Colossians 4:6,12

Epaphras was a servant of Christ and member of the fellowship in Colosse. I was moved by his earnest prayer for the church in Colosse.  His desire to see them made strong, perfect and fully confident in Christ.  And it made me wonder, what do I earnestly desire for the church, locally and globally?  Is my desire for each believer for God to make them strong, perfect and fully confident that they are following the whole will of God?  Or is my desire that I would grow and they would follow me?

IMG_0813

As I thought about this, I referred to earlier in the text where Paul exhorts the believers to "Let your conversation be gracious and attractive". The word attractive there can, and is often, translated meaning "as though seasoned with salt." Salt can act as a tenderizer.  As believers our conversation, our words, should be full of grace and be tender.  Epaphras sought God's heart for the people of Colosse.  He sought grace and tender mercies to be bestowed on these people.


My heart semi broke when I thought about these verses.  What am I doing?  Am I seeking the heart of God for these people I live life with daily? Or am I too busy trying to look good or appear as though I know best.  I came to the realization that, as a believer, I essentially signed a non competition clause when I chose to follow Christ. I left my CEO mentality and chose the life of a servant.  I gave up one master to follow the Master.  And He alone is gracious and full of tender mercies.  He alone teaches us to look to Him and to earnestly pray for others.  I will no longer try to compete with Him for headship.  I've chosen death to self-righteousness and being self centered.  My desire is for His love and His grace to be what tenderizes my heart and fashions me to be more like Him.

 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful words packed full of truth and grace! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] I confessed I essentially signed a non competition clause when I chose to follow Christ.  Thus placing myself […]

    ReplyDelete