Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 In One Word

Years seem to come and go more quickly than I remember as a child. 2013 was no exception. Looking back it was some of the best of times.  And there were days I struggled to keep myself afloat.  One thing is certain, Christ has walked this road with me.  He has been by my side when the tears flowed and when my heart rejoiced. To say I am thankful may be an understatement.

IMG_2461

This new year has begun and already I know that Christ has ordained some vital, life giving things for me and my family in 2014. What, well, I can't say for sure.  However, I can say that when considering this new year, the word He laid on my heart was Less. That little four letter word has such a BIG meaning.

Sitting down to flesh out some of what might be less in my life this new year resulted in a list, a conglomeration, of decisions that are made daily. Decisions to make less of worldly possessions and passions that unhealthily draw me away from responsibilities and relationships that have eternal value. Choices in healthy eating habits, daily exercise, removing clutter from my home, thought patterns, healthy media boundaries and choices of responsibilities outside the home, just to name a few.

Romans 6:12-14

12 Do not let sin control the way you live; do not give in to sinful desires. 13 Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin. Instead, give yourselves completely to God, for you were dead, but now you have new life. So use your whole body as an instrument to do what is right for the glory of God. 14 Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God’s grace.

Some of those decisions may seem trivial, but for me, they are vital.  Because I have been made alive in Christ, I am seeing the importance of using my whole body as an instrument of righteousness.  Freely living in the grace God has provided.  Just as Romans 6:12-14 says. 2014 will bring less of me...my thinking, habits and choices.  It will reflect Christ and how He has changed my life.

What is your one word for 2014?  What are you hoping this year will bring?

4 comments:

  1. "Less" has all those implications over here as well. It's about clearing space for Him to truly have everything. Blessings, to you; I look forward to seeing what the Lord does in both of us this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Ginger! Definitely looking forward to what the Lord is doing through our "Less" journeys this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose less for my 2014 word as well! I will be praying for your journey :)

    ReplyDelete